Tuesday 7 August 2012

Coconut Oil - The Wonder Hair Product


Coconut oil has been hailed as a miracle product for a long time and ever since Miranda Kerr mentioned how much she adores it to help keep her skin and hair in tip top condition, sales of coconut oil have apparently went through the roof – who wouldn’t want to look like Mrs Bloom?!  I’d heard about the buzz surrounding the oil for some time, so I was pretty chuffed when Holland & Barrett sent us some to try – I now can’t believe I’ve never tried it before!
It’s generally believed that consuming coconut oil can improve your hair and skin, has anti-aging properties and can apparently be a great aid to losing weight, Miranda Kerr is said to consume several tablespoons a day for a healthier appearance. Other than consuming coconut oil as a supplement there is a million and one ways coconut oil can be used, below is just a few ideas I’ve come across but I'm sure there are MANY more –
•    All over body moisturiser - keep it in the fridge for a great after sun
•    Hair mask/ conditioner
•    A small amount used as a hair oil to add shine and control frizz
•    Rubbed into your scalp it can apparently help get rid of dandruff
•    A great alternative to cooking oil
•    Shave oil
•    Hand and cuticle cream
•    Make up remover 

it comes in a solid form an melts when warmed up in your hands
I haven’t yet tried consuming pure coconut oil but I’ve been using this one from Holland and Barrett for the past few months as a body moisturiser and hair mask. I use it as a moisturiser on my super dry patches eg. elbow, knees and feet and I find It’s extremely moisturising and cooling, best of all it smells amazing too – pure coconut bliss. Although it’s worth noting that it does take some time to sink it so light layers are best and definitely not one to put on when your in a hurry!

However my favourite use of all is using Coconut oil as a hair mask. I simply take a chunk of oil and apply the oil all over my hair from root to tip, for as long as possible – usually over night (don’t forget to lay a towel over your pillow though) I then simply shampoo it out in the morning. I’ve found that this leaves my hair feeling supper soft, tangle free and just feels incredibly healthy. For me this is better than ANY hair mask I’ve used before and it’s great to know that it’s all natural no nasty chemicals or sulphates! I would HIGHLY recommend trying this if you enjoy hair masks!!

Overall I couldn't recommend coconut oil enough– the tub is huge so it’s going to last a long time, therefore it works out a LOT cheaper than buying separate products. It’s a winner for me and my new wonder hair product.

Are you as mad about coconut oil as me? Do you have other uses to share?

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Great post- I was just given a huge jar of this (hadn't been able to find some pure coconut oil) and am excited to use it on my fried hair (thanks to an ombré attempt!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...